Friday, June 12, 2009

Water birth in Uganda

Yesterday we had a mom who was pregnant for the 7th time and had already birthed 6 children. In assessment she had been 6cm dilated and she proceeded to the labour ward where Sarah and I were waiting. I did my usual assessment, but I did not do a vaginal exam because she had just had one. I was later informed that she had HIV and she was very ill with some other illness that we were unsure of. Cathy did not want me to get too close because she was concerned she may hav Tuberculosis. So as I sat behind the curtain discussing TB with Micky I heard a grunt, so I got up and so did Sarah. I looked over Sarah's shoulder and saw the baby's head already born, and I pushed Sarah out of the way and yelled the baby is almost out and I have NO GLOVES ON!!! Cathy came running and helped pluck the baby out of the pool of amniotic fluid. Learning moment: don't leave a gravida 7 alone for a second!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I had a similar moment last year. I the only caregiver in the room, when I heard "Sister" and looked up to see a head emerging. A whole lot of "To Sindikas" and struggling to get gloves on fast enough - but ya ... I fished that baby out of a puddle of amniotic fluid too!

    I miss you all and wish I was there with you. Say hi to the Sisters for me.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete