Friday, June 5, 2009

Margaret's birth and more

I had my first catch in Uganda yesterday. It was a lovely quick birth of a fourth baby for a Ugandan woman. His mom was Margaret and I was so pleased to be at her birth. The baby was a healthy 3.7 kgs! I was given the honour of naming the baby so I chose Francis after my dad who passed away over 10 years ago. I will post a picture as soon as I can.

Since yesterday I have also attended the delivery of very preterm twins and another healthy baby girl (4.0 kgs). These births were on the low -risk part of the high risk ward which does about 80 births a day. There is so much to write that I simply can not describe here but will carry with me for years to come.

Thank-you to all who donated hats and booties and baby blankets and other donations. The moms appreciate them greatly. They are particularly helpful when the mom has nothing with her. The supplies for the hospital have been essential to us being able to do our work. Thank-you to all!

5 comments:

  1. yay Jody! I'm sure your dad would be proud to have a little namesake all the way in Uganda! Can't wait to see some pics, especially of you guys in action, and the hospital where you are working.

    Hugs to all of you
    amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jody - sounds amazing! What a great experience to be having. Looking forward to following your blog.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Babe,

    Finn and Isla wonder if you are having fun- they love your "stories".

    Miss you- so proud of you.

    Love J

    ReplyDelete
  4. so...do those names really stick, or do babies there have a name they're called by and another one on the birth certificate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congradulations on your first Catch. I'm looking forward to keeping up on all the stories.

    Ryan, Amanda, Bryce

    ReplyDelete