Thursday, June 18, 2009

Busy Day's

This week in Masaka has been crazy. Not busy with lots of births but busy with multiple births. Monday this week I had a mom deliver her baby, and lucky Cathy noticed that the baby was smaller than expected, and she said "Dont give the oxytocin!" There was a twin! So I got to deliver my first set of twins. First was a lovely little boy weighing around 2.3kg and the second was a girl weighing about 2.8kg, both cephalic. Both were in good condition.
Then the next day (Tuesday) we had a mom transfer in who had travelled in from 1.5hrs away and the first twin had delivered in the taxi (who did not make it) then the second was retained, when she arrived at the hospital. We attended to her quickly. She was breech. So Sarah and I helped Prossy deliver the breech, which then need Neonatal rescesitation, PPV for 15 min, that I and Prossy did together. Finally the baby came around and breathed on its own. Thank God!!
Yesterday, we had a mom come in that I was attending to she was a Gravida 8, Para 7 I thought the baby would fall out when she sneezed. It did not, strange. On my first vaginal exam I felt a head, on the next a few hours later I felt lots of lumpy bits. So I asked Grace to come check because I could not figure out the presenation. She checked and checked and checked and could not be sure. So we let her go for a little while longer and then Grace checked again and while she was doing the vaginal exam, she jumped, pulled her hand out and squealed. I was shocked thinking what the heck did she do that for and the mom was somewhat shocked. Then Grace explained the baby just sucked her finger through the amniotic sac! It was a face presentation. So we got one of Sarah's mini textbooks that she brings to the hospital (we love Sarah) and found out there was a chance the baby could be turned. So Grace searched for the OB to turn it. He told her to do it. So she did. It worked!!! We had to leave before the mom delivered but we found out today that she birth vaginaly, and Grace saved her from a C/S.
Today Thursday, I cut my first episiotomy, it was necessary. A 17 year old prima gravida, the baby was not fitting well, and it was a tight fit. We tried everything else. The episiotomy did the trick, and she had a SVD of a baby boy.
Then Sarah was attending to a mom who was HIV positive, and was a gravida 5. She was in a lot of pain, and needed a lot of support. Sarah did a vaginal exam and was not sure of what she was feeling. Grace looked at Sarah's glove and it had fresh meconium on it (very fresh). Grace say's that is a breech baby. So Sarah prepares for the delivery, while going over all the manuvers for the breech. The baby starts to deliver, and just falls out, plop! Grace say's wait...there is a second baby. We check and the second is also a breech. So I was able to deliver the second. The second did need the manuvers and we delivered two healthy babies, one girl and one boy. No rescess or anything. Wow, what an experience!
Carole

3 comments:

  1. oh my god you guys are AWESOME! Are you sure you want to come home? Sounds like you are having a wicked ride, and I can't wait to see more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are amazing! those mamas are amazing! thank you for all these stories.

    ReplyDelete