Sunday, June 28, 2009

Two funny posts: I am so sorry and "hair" conditioning

I am so sorry

This may be the main catch phrase that we pick up from our time in Uganda.
The Ugandan people are so empathetic to clumsy people.

Like me, who missed a step entering a room and the Ugandan women who watched me spectactularly arrive, said, “oh, I am SO sorry.” They seem very very very sorry. Not just sorry that I am so clumsy, but like they are apologizing on behalf of the shoddy construction or that the architect that could have designed such a dangerous step. [Carole told me she missed the same step entering the same room]

Or, like the time that our uniforms weren’t ready in the morning for us to go to the hospital and the “concierge” guy at the hotel looked completely stricken and went “oh, I AM SO sorry. It has rained.” ....looking totally stricken..... “It must have rained on them on the line.” .....looks like he might cry.... “Oh, sorry, so sorry.” [exactly in the tone that you might use if someone’s gramma died].

The response from us is always. “Oh, it’s okay. Really. It’s okay. We’ll figure it out...” [please don’t cry].

Getting –hair- conditioned

So, my hair is getting really out of hand in Kampala. Surprise, surprise. Note to any strangers: I have (the potential for) CRAZY hair. My hair also hated Prince George. Kampala and Prince George. GO figure.

So Carole and I walked to the Mulago Hospital in Kampala one morning and I swear my shadow looked like Animal from the Muppets! Seriously. Boing boing boing.

Which I was okay with, as on the wards I wear my blue bandana. It calms the hair and absorbs the copious sweat. Bonus!

Carole and I had long talks making fun of my hair. She gave me professional advice.
Then, the funny thing was when Cathy spontaneously told me that she had hair conditioner that I could borrow. Poor Cathy, as Carole and I broke down into gales of laughter. Then, the next morning, I opened the door and the hair conditioner was perched perkily on our stoop.

So, I did actually condition my hair on separate days with both Cathy and Carole`s conditioner.
Then Carole looks at me, sighs and says ``you know what, I actually think you need hair products!``

2 comments:

  1. tee hee. Jordan and I went to Capadoccia, Turkey once. The big thing there is to stay in caves --whole towns are carved out of rock, and so are a few choice hotels. Well, I hadn't brought conditioner and somehow kept failing to get me hands on some, and pretty soon Jordan was calling me his Cave Girlfriend.
    Sending you virtual product---

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I not tell you about the necessity of the head hanky? hmmm ... didn't I????

    ReplyDelete