Wednesday, June 24, 2009

One Moment of Pain

Jody and I arrived on the ward at Masaka Hospital Tuesday morning. There on the shelf were the wrapped bodies of 3 babies that had died. One was wrapped in paper, a tiny premature infant that had been there since the weekend. The other 2 babies were wrapped in beautiful cloths. One mother was sitting in absolute silence on her bed. Two young dads quietly entered. They had each come for their wife and their baby. They were both so very thin, their clothes hanging on them. They each took their wrapped bundle, tenderly placed their baby in a suitcase and zipped it closed. I felt an overwhelming moment of absolute sadness at the personal tragedy happening in front of me. I carefully opened the door so they could leave the ward. They thanked me for opening the door. I nearly cried.


Tina

1 comment:

  1. oh tina... i'm crying reading this... xox laura

    ReplyDelete